Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Antique Postcards

I've bought all of these from various antique shops over the years. I'm not bothering to blur out the addresses, since all the postcards are from the early 1900's.

This postcard is actually showing the lake that I vacation at every summer, so I was really excited to find it! It's Lake Winnisquam, in Tilton (Laconia), New Hampshire. If you'd like to try to read it, you can click on it. It was written in pencil, so it's pretty light. It's postmarked from Sept. 7, 1927. Right below this, I have a more recent photo of that bridge, which I took from our boat. It's from a slightly different angle, but I figured I'd include it :) It looks much different now!


Here is another postcard from Laconia, New Hampshire. It's a photo of "The Tavern". I'm not familiar with this place, and I'm not sure if it even still exists. If anyone knows, please leave a comment! It's postmarked June 9th, 1941 (I think, its hard for me to tell if that is a 1 or not).

This postcard is showing the view of Main Street west from the Railroad Track in Tilton, New Hampshire. This one was never mailed out, but it was copyrighted in 1907.

This one was from Syracuse University (I actually have two others from here as well). It was written on Sept. 20th, 1906. Click to make it larger, if you would like to read the writing!

This is my second one from Syracuse University. The writing is realllyyy tiny, and I can barely read it! On the front it's showing Sims Hall, Bowne Hall & Library. I've never visited Syracuse, so I'm not sure what it looks like today. This was mailed on July 28th, 1942. Near the stamp it says "Buy Defense Savings Bonds and Stamps", because this was during World War Two.

This is my last one from Syracuse University. The front is showing the Stadium at Syracuse University. Unfortunately, there is no year anywhere on this one.

This one is the State Capitol and Petersburg Express, in Hartford, Connecticut. This one is postmarked August 27, 1938. The stamp in the corner says "Buy U.S. Savings Bonds. Ask Your Postmaster".

Here's another one from Hartford, Connecticut, the photo was from Keney Park. I always thought this one was cute with the dog! It's postmarked March 11th, 1908.

Here is another one from Connecticut, specifically Circle Beach in East River. It was postmarked on August 8th, 1946. Unfortunately, someone ripped the stamp off :(

I thought this one was really cute! It's postmarked December 22, 1908. It's written in pencil, so it's really light, and the writings really small. Click it if you'd like to read :)

This one is the Court House of Records and Institute for Savings, located in Springfield, Massachusetts. It's postmarked September 23, 1944. This is really random, but I really love the handwritting on this one! And someone also tried to (unsuccesfully) rip the stamp off this one.

I always thought this one was so pretty. The pencil writting is extremely light on this one. It's postmarked August 7th, 1930. The postcard shows a sunrise over the Atlantic Ocean, from Old Orchard Beach in Maine. Another one with a ripped off stamp :(

No comments:

Post a Comment