Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Vintage Reprints

I found all of these postcards, which are vintage reprints, at our local Ocean State Job Lot. I was really excited, because they were so cheap!

This one is my favorite in the bunch. It's a print of "The Spirit of America", which was a World War One poster by Howard Chandler.


The actor Marlon Brando, photo taken by John Engstead


This one is an American Circus poster from 1904, which is on display at the Shelburne Museum, in Shelburne, Vermont.


This is a print of "Trail Riders" (1964/1965), by Thomas Hart Benton. I thought this one was so beautiful!



This is a print of the lithograph by Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, who lived from 1864-1901. Not going to lie.. I find this one a little creepy!


This is another World War One poster, by Walter H. Everett. It's called "Must Children Die and Mothers Plead in Vain?". The original was a lithograph, 40 x 29 3/4".


I absolutely love this one! It's called "Harbor Scene with St. Paul's Departure from Caesarea". It was painted with oil on copper, in 1596. It's by Jan Breughel the Elder, who was Flemish. He lived from 1568-1625. I believe it's currently at the North Carolina Museum of Art.


I just love the bathing suit she is wearing in this one! The woman is Greer Garson, an Anglo-Irish leading lady. She was born in 1908 and this photo was taken in 1939.



I think everyone knows who this is! Marilyn Monroe!


This one is Rock Hudson, who was an actor. This photo was taken in 1952, by Sid Avery.


I find this one to be the most interesting. I feel like these men would have such an interesting story to tell! Apparently they were tenant farmers in Chatham County, North Carolina. Taken in 1939 by Dorothea Lange.


I find this one so amusing simply because if you compare bodybuilders today to the man in this picture, they would look nothing alike! This photo was taken in 1914, by an unknown photographer.


This is Hedy Lamarr, Austrian born film star. She was born in 1913. The photo was taken by Laszlo Willinger in 1940.


This is J. Edgar Hoover & Shirley Temple. This was taken in 1938.


This one is Susan Hayward, an American actress. This photo was taken by Paul Hesse in 1940.


This is a roadside shrine in Northern France. This was taken by Allan Burgis in 1971.


3 comments:

  1. How lovely to see one of Allan's photos! I still probably have the camera that took this. He was a lovely chap - died far too young. A poet (I hate poetry, but he was really good). He had the most amazing handwriting - looked as if it were typewritten. He also knew every Monty Python sketch and Steptoe and Son sketch off by heart. We dated for a couple of years and then he emigrated to the US. A traveller :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He loved Dire Straits, Bob Seger, Al Stewart. He kept the most impossible diary - every day, pages of it. He was fluent in Swedish. Not to mention wives. I once dined with him at The Hard Rock Cafe in Hyde Park, London. I smoked then and managed to set fire to my hair at the table. THAT dates me. Two of his ex girlfriends were there too that evening. They must have thought I was potty. And how we laughed. Thank heavens the camera was absent ... America's gain was Bethnal Green's loss. A good bloke. Really!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was fortunate to be a friend of Allan's in California - he was an extraordinary guy ! I can understand that you still miss him - I do too.
    I have a small collection of Allan memorabilia- postcards, published works, maybe even some of his famous mixed tapes. I would love to share memories ! cambofranko at gmail. Love, Frank .

    ReplyDelete